Re: Mod perl backport for Sarge.

On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 07:11:59PM +0100, Andy Davidson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently asked this on debian-perl, but the list seems to be much quieter
> than this one; hoping someone on here might have an answer.
>
> Is anyone maintaining a, or planning to maintain a backport of the released,
> stable mod_perl 2 framework for Sarge ?
>
> Such a shame that the mod_perl 2 in Sarge is one of the 1.999 versions, and
> that the behaviour between mod_perl in 'our' stable release will not match what
> it should do in 'the' stable mod_perl 2 distribution.

I just tried to backport it and ran into this:

 -> Considering  perl (>= 5.8.7-3)
      Tried versions: 5.8.4-8
   -> Does not satisfy version, not trying

Since perl is a non-trivial thing to upgrade on a Debian system, that
could be a problem.  However, I went ahead and changed the perl
dependency to >= 5.8.4-8 (the version in Sarge).  I don't know *anything*
about perl, so I am not sure what ill effects this could possible have.
You are welcome to download the packages from my website:

http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto/debian/libapache2-mod-perl2-dev_2.0.1-2.0.0.sanchez.0_i386.deb
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto/debian/libapache2-mod-perl2_2.0.1-2.0.0.sanchez.0_i386.deb

Please test them thoroughly and let me know if they even work.  If you
are happy with them, I will add them to my unofficial archive and keep
them reasonably up to date.

Also, if you are interested in doing this yourself, I have written a
HOWTO that covers customizing Debian packages which applies equally well
to backporting:

http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto/?page=debcustomize

-Roberto

--