Re: External USB and dirvish -- getting error

From: [KS]
To: Debian User

>Hi,
>
>I run nightly backups on my external USB drive using dirvish and it has
>been working perfectly since the last few days when I started them.
>However, when I went to work on the machine this morning, I heard some
>wierd noise and noticed that the external USB was the cause of the
>noise. Usually, it spins down after a few mintues of activity but today
>it is spinning and making a noise.
>
>I checked the processes and to my surprise dirvish was still running. On
>checking the syslog I have repeated listings,
>
>Aug  4 06:58:06 localhost kernel: SCSI error : <0 0 0 0> return code =
>0x6000000
>Aug  4 06:58:06 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sda,
>sector 276642847
>Aug  4 06:58:06 localhost kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sda2,
>logical block 21473324
>Aug  4 06:58:06 localhost kernel: lost page write due to I/O error on sda2
>
>What should be the correct method to stop dirvish now? Do I just kill
>the process!
>
>I had upgraded the kernle to 2.6.12 a few days ago. Could it be due to
>that? But I have a feeling that it could be something else as the
>backups were done when I checked yesterday morning.
>
>/KS

You should check the drive.  It looks like the drive stopped responding.

If the noise sounds like "clip clop" or "tick tock" then the drive is (most likely) going bad.  If this is the case then replace the drive and try it again.  I wouldn't think that the software is your problem unless the USB "timed out" somehow.

Preston