Re: Swap always full

On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 09:57:30PM +0100, James Burke wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 15:40:17 -0500
> David Berg <drberg1000@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It seems that with in 15 minutes of logging into my account I'm out of
> > swap and low on physical memory.
> >
> > Swap partition is 64 Meg and I have 128 Megs of Physical.  I'm
> > upgrading to 1Gig very shortly but would still like to know why I'm
> > swapping so much.
> >

> Debian seems to use alot of memory on mine.  Running fluxbox,firefox,gaim and gkrellm its already used 50mb of swap after 3 hours, I've got 256mb of physical memory & 1gb of swap.
>
> I know linux should use all the available memory but it should be swapping with just a few applications running.
>
> XFree86 and firefox seem to be the biggest users of memory using 28.3% and 23.8% for the memory.

I have a laptop with 256 MB, and while not a powerhouse, it can run
Firefox and OOo under WindowMaker without getting into swap (as long as
Firefox is not open too long, with the memory leak and all).  It is not
surprising that the OP, with only 128 MB, is always getting into swap.

On the other hand, my desktop has 1 GB.  As long as I don't something
stupid, like executing `pi 10000000000`, then I don't ever go into swap.

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto