Re: grub and swapping out drive

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, R Ransbottom wrote:

> I want to install grub to (hd1) so that it is ready to be used as (hd0).
>
> I have Debian 3.1r0a up.  On /dev/hda2 (hd0,1) is my root.  On /dev/sda2
> (hd1,1) is a cloned root.  I want to remove the IDE disk at /dev/hda and
> boot from /dev/sda2 which will then be (hd0,1).  I have no floppy drive.
>
> By cloned I mean (modulo typos):
> 	fdisk /dev/sda;
> 	mke2fs -j /dev/sda2;
> 	mount /dev/sda2 /mnt;
> 	cd /;
> 	cp -ax . /mnt;

cp -dpar . /mnt ( but i keep wondering how cp knows not to copy
/mnt onto /mnt/mnt )
	- watch out for permissions, dates, links, etc

> 	grub-install \(hd1\);

too early for that, use:

you will need to fix /dev/hda  to say /dev/sda instead in all
grub/lilo files and /etc/fstab and possible other places

chroot /mnt grub-install /dev/sda

or

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/sda bs=446 count=1

or

easiest and higher probability of it working to make a clone bootable
is to make hda dual boot and boot into the clone and run grub-install
while running off /dev/sda

c ya
alvin