AM radio recorder

I've been thinking for a while about setting up my debian box to
record some AM radio programs... sort of a Tivo for radio.  A lot of
mp3 players come with FM radio and recording function, but not AM
radio.   Some TV tuner cards also include radio, but again only FM.
THere was one product that there is even linux drivers for, the ADS
Cadet tuner card.  But they don't make them anymore and they are hard
to find.

So I've been thinking about just using a radio (with AM capability,
obviously) and using an 8mm plug (male conneciton on both ends) and
connecting the output of the radio to the input (microphone socket) of
my soundblaster sound card on my linux box.   THen I can use some bash
scripts and "at" commands or cronjobs to record the shows I want.

Any reason this won't work?  It's a crust old box (AMD-K6II) and
crusty old sound card(16bit sb), but I don't see why it won't work.  I
have yet to ever use the audio recording capability and microphone on
my linux box, so this is uncharted territory for me.  Any advice,
software/hardware/programs/commands... would be much appreciated.

I did a google search, but didn't find much.
--
Regards,
dbp