Adding fonts to Gnome.....

I've got GNOME 2 running on Debian Sarge. I'd like to add some fonts
to GNOME. (Currently I've only got about 12 fonts.)

What type of fonts are compatible? How do I add them to Gnome? I
googled on this subject but didn't find anything that helped. (I have
read the Font HOWTO, but it didn't seem to deal specifically with
GNOME.)

I managed to find the fonts I do have installed in GNOME by typing
"fonts:///" into Nautilus. Hoever, I couldn't paste any font files
into it. Where is the "fonts:///" directory in the file system? I
couldn't find it. Is it some type of  "virtual" directory?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Scott Huey