Re: The Bit-Torent servers are so slow, just wondering why?

[This isn't appropriate on -www. Cc set to -user, where it is. Please
direct any followups there]

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 11:01:00AM -0400, jimmckenzie wrote:
> I'm trying to Download the 301r0a ISO's for the DVD's of Debian Linux for
> x86.  It seems to downloading at dial up speed and I have a Cable Modem
> that can do better 768.  It's no T1 but it's pretty dang fast.  Why is the
> download taking so long?  I'd rather D/L 2 DVD ISO's as opposed to 14 CD-R
> ISO's.  Bit Torrent is estimating that it will take about 5 days to
> download the First ISO, I shudder to think about the Second one.
>
> What can I do to speed up the Download Stream?

Use jigdo rather than bittorrent? There are many more Debian package
mirrors than there are ISO mirrors, and apparently bittorent isn't
helping you either.

For jigdo, all you need is a working POSIX-compliant system -- cygwin (a
POSIX implementation for Windows) will do nicely.

When jigdo is installed, run

jigdo-lite http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/3.1_r0a/i386/jigdo-dvd/debian-31r0a-i386-binary-1.jigdo

(presuming you're trying to download the i386 images). That should
produce a DVD image in a few hours, provided you pick a fast local
mirror.

> I'm not running anything in the background and my system is running a
> Athlon XP 3000 and a half a Gig of PC 2700 RAM.

That isn't relevant for download speeds.

pavement is precisely one bananosecond