cross install; cross platforms

I'm in the practice of doing a chroot cross install to build a system
on a new disk. However, in this case, I'm trying to build a system on
my current machine (IBM PC, Intel, Sarge) in order to create a disk to
be placed in a new machine, which has an Asus A8N-SLI motherboard, a
different video card, and an Athlon 64 processor.

Here are my initial steps. How far can I go on my present machine?

1. Partitioning the disk; initializing the partitions.

2. Run cdebootstrap into the swap partition (don't I have to
   initialize the swap partition afterwards?)

3. Configure base system. I realize that my fstab will have to be
   modified when I actually go to boot the disk on the new
   machine. Perhaps also hostname if it is picked up automatically.

4. Kernel installation. I assume I should install the stock
   kernel-image-2.6.8-11-686 kernel if I aim at a 32-bit system,
   rather than the 2.6.8-11-amd64-generic kernel image.

5. Set up grub boot loader. Again, when I move the hard disk over, the
   menu.lst will have to be modified.

6. Initialize swap partition

7. First boot.

Am I correct to assume this hard disk in its present state will boot
on either system (after changing hostname and fstab appropriately)?

--

       Haines Brown
       KB1GRM