Re: Re: can't connect with putty

Actually I started off with ssh, but couldn't connect - the providers instructions referred to putty so I installed that and tried it to make sure I was using the correct u/p combination.

In fact it turned out to be a DNS-appearing problem which has been bugging me for a while. ssh worked when I used the IP address but not "mydomain.com". But I COULD ping "domain.com" and also do dns and reverese dns on it with dig.

Eventually through trawling around here I came up with a post that sounded like similar problems - ssh timing out (I'm not that patient). They fixed it by disabling ipv6 support, which I tried and it also seems to have helped. I think - it was late last night, I'll check it again later.

Thanks for your help and I'll try to post what I actually changed later for the benefit of future sufferers.

cheers

Daniel