Re: Optimize iso images, find duplicates

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 12:57:02AM +0200, Josep M. wrote:
> I would like ask what package can I use for optimize an iso image, I
> explain, when you have a CD with several files with identical content but
> different name the program detect this and only copy one file in the iso
> image and the rest of is a link inside to the iso image, this generate a
> more small iso file when several identical files are present.

The Knoppix remastering scripts by Fabian Franz include a tool to find
identical files and replace one of them with a hardlink to the other.
When creating the iso image with mkisofs, the hardlinked files' contents
will be shared, so they only occupy as much space as one instance.

Regards,
Mirko