can't connect with putty

Hi

I'm using a debian box with a  2.4.27 kernel.

I just picked up a hosting a/c and want to connect with putty. I can
do it fine from my win32 box using putty following the instructions
given by the host provider and also to some other remote machines
where I have an a/c.

I instaled putty with apt-get on the deb box - it comes up but when I
try to connect to anyone it never gets there. I just get an empty
terminal window. It never comes up with the warning that you get on
first connection; nothing. No warnings or errors either. I've tried
with the -log option but the log file doesn't even get created.

Both boxes are behind the same router/firewall, which has a completely
vamilla out-of-th-box config.

Any ideas what to try next?

Thanks

Daniel