Re: Windows corrupts Grub on Dell

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 01:06:27AM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> Chris Bannister wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 04:20:17PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> >

> >>As long as I boot into Debian, no problem, but if I boot into Windows,
> >>the next time I reboot, grub just goes into an infinite loop of
> >>rebooting. I briefly see a mention of grub stage 1.5, then reboot.
> >>

> >Any luck yet?
> >
> <snip>
>
> >Oh, If you haven't got that stuff in menu.lst try adding it then try
> >above paragraph.
> >

> Too late; I've already switched to LILO, which works fine.
>
> --
> Kent

And for us, grub messed up Windows.  This was in the autumn of '04,
with the relatively new sarge netinstaller, so things may have been
fixed, but it left us suspicious of grub.

The sarge installer really needs to provide an explicit choice
between grub and lilo.  Yesterday, on another machine, I got it
to do lilo by saying not to install grub to a hard disk, then,
when it insisted it had to install it somewhere, providing it
with a blank field and telling it to go ahead (not much of a
choice), letting it fail, and when the installer went into
recovery mode to fix this gross failure and gave me the option
of chooseing what's next from list of installation phases,
skipping grub and go on to lilo.

And lilo worked fine.

Is there some way to get to this list-of-phases page without
first making grub fail?

-- hendrik