Re: how to compute number bytes downloaded?

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 20:05 +0100, Doofus wrote:
> michael wrote:
>
> >I'm trying to weight up whether monthly d/load caps by various ISPs
> >would restrict me. (Firstly I'm assuming when they say 1Gb they mean
> >1000*1024 bytes and not bits?) More importantly, what's the best way to
> >track amount of data downloaded per session? For anybody that's
> >interested the main thing I'll be doing is running xterms on remote
> >machines pointed back to mine at home but I've not idea how much traffic
> >X involves.
> >
> >Thanks!
> >

> I didn't really answer your main question, sorry.
> There may be a deb package one of the guys here can tell you about, but
> it would probably need to run on all your machines. The easiest way I
> can think of to monitor your WAN bandwidth usage is to reset your DSL
> router and do it from there. Most of these have some sort of "global
> stats" page that will count your total incoming/outgoing IP packets.

I'll look at that as an option.
The setup is actually the router with my debian box + my housemate's XP
box. All I wish to know is what my debian box is eating - so i only need
one app running on that to show its use..

--
Michael Bane
Atmospheric Physics Group