Re: OT: In defence of ``newbie-picking''

Anders Breindahl wrote:
On Tuesday 26 July 2005 03:54, Michael Z Daryabeygi wrote:

Anders Breindahl wrote:

Have you tried `less`?

Why are you picking on (perceived?) newbies? That's not funny.
I'm pretty sure he needs more functionality than that.
And I know from his other thread that he is doing his best to get away
from M$, so we should genuinely try to help him.

I am sorry, that you read it as me picking on newbies. That was not my intention; I merely (attempted unarrogantly) tried to state the not-always obvious.

I didn't think it was that rude and realized that 'less' could in fact be useful in some cases. And the obvious does need to be stated in often cases. But that wasn't the impression I got from Rajiv's sparse post. Thanks for clarifying your intention.

Why you brought the criticism upon yourself for planning to jump down people's throats, I don't know. But I will point out that if it weren't for "rude" people like you, I wouldn't have been able to be so polite in clueing Rajiv in. So I guess you serve a purpose if with a sneer.
:-)

I am also sorry to announce, that I am one of those, who will be ``jumping down peoples' throats'' in the case of not keeping to the net-etiquette. It really makes it less satisfying to be a part of the community. I suppose I don't belong on -user with this standpoint; but as it seems like the only place in Debian I may be of service, I stick around, keeping my annoyance to myself (mostly, that is).

In defence of my post, though:
It is my experience, that the Windows-community uses cleartext files more often than one assumes. (Opposite to arbitrary binary formats). Often I have been able to extract the information I needed by treating the files as cleartext. I am also convinced, that no one would want to run a Windows-only IDE on a GNU/Linux machine -- and I therefore assumed that Rajiv only wanted to do the ``extracting information''-part, and therefore could cope with `less`.

Project is a beast that I am afraid to learn.  But I would be interested
to know if anyone has tried it in wine.

Not that I have the ability to command such development forces -- but wouldn't creating a Microsoft-compatible program be a misallocation of Free Software development ressources?

Absolutely not a waste. Microsoft does not just dominate the market for software. Much work for programmers comes with the mandate to use microsoft platforms. Making it easier for developers and other professionals to comply without feeding the beast directly seems like a service to the cause to me.

The trouble about .doc seems to prove that to me: The more we want a a FS-alternative to a Microsoft program, the harder they will make it to develop?

Regards, Anders Breindahl.

--
Michael Z Daryabeygi