Re: listbugs: how to avoid grave bugs

michael wrote:

As suggested on D-U recently, I've installed apt-listbugs. I now get
listing of potentially serious bugs related to packages about to be
installed. eg for 'unstable' today I get:
Retrieving bug reports... Done
       grave bugs of imagemagick (6:6.2.3.1-1 -> 6:6.2.3.4-1) <done>
        #315013 - display command fails with "error while loading
       shared libraries"
(snip)

       grave bugs of xlibs (4.3.0.dfsg.1-14 -> 6.8.2.dfsg.1-4) <open>
        #309143 - xlibs: libxpm4's new s_popen() function is insecure
       garbage
(snip)

       fakeroot(2 bugs), kernel-package(1 bug), zlib1g(1 bug)
       Are you sure you want to install/upgrade the above packages?
I wish to just install those without listed bugs (ie I can wait until
said bugs are fixed) so am I correct in thinking I just do option 'p'
then rerun 'apt get upgrade'? But then, when would I get to know when
the bugs have been fixed so it's okay to install them (presuming having
to edit /etc/apt/preferences to unpin said packages)? I've looked for a
'howTo' on this but failed to find the solution but if anybody has this
info to hand I'll be most welcome.
Maybe not the answer you were looking for but this is a good reason to use aptitude. I would write down the problem packages (the ones that say [open], not the ones that say [done]), answer the question and then change each problem package to hold. Then I would restart the upgrade.

Paul Scott