Re: screen resolution for desktop

On 7/23/05, michael <linux@networkingnewsletter.org.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-07-23 at 09:57 -0400, Rajiv Vyas wrote:
> > Newbie question:
> >
> > How do I change the screen resolution in Debian. I have 800*600 now
> > and want to take it higher to 1068*720 or something like that. I went
> > to the Gnome pannel and tried changing it but it does not give me an
> > option higher than 800*600.
>
> Assuming you're using XF86/XFree86, you need to amend Screen-Display
> values in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (see archives for discussion), then once
> a higher value is accepted (see XFree86.0.log for current value) you can
> do above

if you are using xfree86 then as root and without X running type
'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86'. make sure you choose advanced when
prompted among three options (simple, medium and advanced). i am a
newbie and other than selecting advanced and selecting just the
resolution that I was looking for i just hit enter for most other
selections/inputs that debian asked for. being the wonderful OS I have
tried (my fourth) it auto detects everything else well enuff for me.
ganesh