Re: Debian and wireless network cards

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 08:06:17PM -0400, Leonid Grinberg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was asked by a friend to install Debian on his system. He asked me
> about which wireless network cards Debian supports. Can anybody tell
> me which ones (I personally don't use a wireless network so I wouldn't
> know).

I posted this question last week when I lost the antenna to my Netgear
MA211 wireless lan card and was advised the best uptodate info was at

	http://Linux-Wireless.org

That didn't help much.  I then went to

	www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan-adapters.html.gz

because I use the linux-wlan-ng=0.2.1-pre26 driver with my Netgear MA311
card.  From the table I ordered a 3com 3crdw696 PCI wireless lan card
for my second computer.  I have not yet received the card and will
confirm that it works with the linux-wlan-ng driver when it comes.  This
is old technology - 802.11b - but with a DSL connection downloads run at
70 to 90 kBps.  New 3com cards were being sold at $ 29.

Others may have better advice - it was frustrating trying to find the
latest and best information.

Tom George