Re: Good GUI for essid selection?

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 08:11:47PM -0500, Damon Chesser wrote:
> Of course not, but the average user does not set this up anyway, the IT geek
> that gives him or her the box does.

Mmm ... well, not quite. Check out how OS X handles this. Or
how Windows does, for that matter. Under OS X, I go to a
dropdown menu and get a list of all the available hotspots
in my area. I select the one I want. If I need a WEP or WPA
key to access it, OS X prompts me for it. I click a checkbox
to save that key in my Keychain. From then on, OS X will
never ask me for the key; the next time I come near that
hotspot, it will automatically provide the stored key.
Presumably it has saved the WEP/WPA key on disk, mapped to
the hotspot's MAC address. Linux should be doing the same.

I don't think OS X will store the ESSID of a hotspot that
uses a hidden ESSID, even if the user has typed in that
ESSID before. OS X certainly provides no easy facility for
cracking WEP/WPA keys, a la airsnort, and remembering those
keys later on.

I'm not sure how to make OS X prioritize hotspots. In
Windows it's easy.

All of this should be equally easy in Linux, if we expect to
compete. And it must be a GUI.

I intend to perform an experiment, whereby I don't touch the
command line -- or apps like mutt that scare end users --
for a month. I'm curious how well I'd do. Not so well at the
moment, given that I'm running the development (Breezy)
build of Ubuntu, and I need to make the /dev/input/mice node
to get X to start. But maybe it'll be possible once Breezy
stabilizes.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve@laniels.org