Re: A little something quirky....

On (22/07/05 12:11), Alex Malinovich wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 12:59 -0700, ke6isf wrote:
> > I just realized that every time I do an apt-get update - and I mean EVERY
> > time - the repository over on purdue.edu always gets the Packages and
> > Release data files.  Most recent test was today, and I did two updates in
> > less than five minutes.  (I had added contrib and non-free to a handful of
> > mirrors in the file.)
> >
> > Is this a bug, or a feature?
>
> Not sure exactly what you mean here. If you mean that every time you do
> an apt-get update it contacts purdue.edu to check for the Packages and
> Release files, then this is correct (assuming that purdue.edu is the
> mirror you have set up in /etc/apt/sources.list).
>
> If you mean something else then I'm not sure what you mean. If that is
> the case post the output you're getting and then point out what part
> you're asking about.

My understanding is that if the OP runs apt-get update several times in
succession, it downloads them afresh every time.

Can you post the output?

After the second apt-get update, you should get something like:
clive@Darius:~$ sudo aptitude update
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading extended state information