To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 3:11 PM
Subject: debian sarge install on new dell PE 1850 and 2850

We recently purchased 3 x 1850 and 2 x 2850 servers to convert our Sparc / Solaris server's to Dell / Linux. The plan all along had been to use Debian since Sarge was being released. We've hit a pretty big stumbling block with Sarge's install cd. It doesn't support the LSI MegaRAID boards that is used to drive the RAID 1 in the 1850's and the RAID 5 in the 2850's.

Right now my options are: 1. Install Woody using Scott Kveton's wood install cd's (which have been patched with the newer MegaRAID drivers) and upgrade to Sarge using my own compiled 2.6 kernel. 2. Install CentOS or another RH:ES clone which support the hardware out of box. 3. Find some way to modify the Sarge installer CD to support this hardware.

I think #1 sounds like a huge pain in the ass considering Woody's installer. #2 well, :^\ and #3 might be ok as long as its documented and doesn't require 20 steps.

What do you guys think? I'm really bummed out. This hardware has OSS drivers that have been around for quite some time now. :(

-Matt (first post to the list btw)