Re: Dynamic MMap ran out of room!!!

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 12:38:42PM -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Steve Lamb wrote:
>
> >     Furthermore when is too much information obsfucating?  The often cited
> > example is IE's "Friendly" error messages which explain nothing.  Give me
> > a short, relatively straight forward and meaningful string (Which "Dynamic
> > MMap ran out of room" is) over overly verbose "helpful" messages which
> > take forever for the uninitiated to read over the phone.  :P
> >
> No, "Dynamic MMAP ran out of room" is geek speak.  It's not a clear message.
>
> "Insufficient memory: increase xxxx in apt.conf" is clearer.
> "Insufficient memory: Add "xxxx:nnnnn" to apt.conf" is even better.

Can you prove or otherwise know that the only thing that can cause that
particular message to appear is the lack of that setting in apt.conf?
What I am trying to say is that there could be other causes of that
error and misleading the user might not be the best way to handle it.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr