Re: Kerberos+LDAP+NIS?

On Thursday 21 July 2005 05:21 am, Nils Erik Svangård wrote:
> Hi!
> Great answer! I will work with this and see if I can get it working.
> Regarding the setup, it's not really finished I think. They havent
> investigated how and what informations should be stored on the LPAD, I
> know for sure that the uid is stored there but other stuff needed for
> a working login on linux isnt there, like default shell.
> I think that if I can set a default shell on login I guess I could use
> LDAP/kerberos + automount and get the same result that I currently get
> with NIS/Kerberos. All the users are on the same nfs export I think,
> so it wont require that much automount magic. And I just checked on
> the LDAP, there is a unused field called NFS home, so if I fill in the
> correct parameter like filerserver.ltu.se:/home/nisse in that I could
> automount that.
> Do you think thats a workable alternative?
> The problem is that there is no shell information and I not 100% sure
> that the unix id in LDAP is the same as in NIS (it should be, and the
> NIS one should be change if it differs).
> /nisse
>
> On 7/20/05, Ryan Schultz <schultz.ryan@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 20 July 2005 02:41 pm, Nils Erik Svangård wrote:
> > > I cant! I dont have the authority to do that.
> > > I have setup NIS which authenticate via the Kerberos server. I guess
> > > it would be easiest to just add a group in NIS but LDAP is the future
> > > and there is such nice GUIs.
> snip <

Just so you know, you can store everything needed for login and then some in
LDAP. Here's an example, this is the result of an ldapsearch for my name:

# rschultz, users, schultz.local
dn: uid=rschultz,ou=users,dc=schultz,dc=local
objectClass: person
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: shadowAccount
uid: rschultz
cn: Ryan Schultz
sn: Schultz
uidNumber: 1000
gidNumber: 1000
homeDirectory: /home/rschultz
loginShell: /usr/bin/zsh
mail: rschultz@telemachus.schultz.local

There's no password info and such because pam_krb5 handles that.

However, addressing your main question, I don't know anything at all about NFS
automounting :- (   Maybe someone else can help you more. Give the LDAP NFS
home option a shot, it should work like advertised. I wouldn't worry too much
about shell information until you get everything working, since I think it
will just default to bash if no shell info is available.

--
Ryan Schultz
-> floating point exception: divide by cucumber