Re: Good GUI for essid selection?

Stephen R Laniel wrote:
> Windows has a nice feature* where you can write down a list
> of preferred ESSIDs: if you're in range of a given hotspot,
> Windows will associate with it. Does Linux have such a
> thing? I've not found it, if so. Ubu seems like the most
> likely distro to innovate on this sort of usability feature.
>
> Other features would fit nicely into the ESSID picker --
> e.g., remembering the MAC addresses of hotspots with hidden
> ESSIDs. The next time you came within range of such a
> hotspot, this feature would look up the MAC addresses of
> every hidden hotspot and associate with the ones whose
> ESSIDs you had stored.
>
> Likewise, does Linux have a facility for storing WEP/WPA
> keys for hotspots that we've previously authenticated with?
>
> This could integrate nicely with programs like airsnort:
> every time you cracked a new key or hidden ESSID, airsnort
> would store it and this preferred-ESSID feature would be
> able to connect to it from then on. This would then be
> *more* usable than Windows, if I'm not mistaken.

For GNOME, I think NetworkManager is a good candidate.
http://people.redhat.com/dcbw/NetworkManager/

I don't know if it has all the features you describe, but they are
aiming for "Hassle-free Networking Without Interruption".

Don't think it's in the Debian archives yet, the ITP i still open...

Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson
http://www.whiz.se
PGP Key ID 760BDD22