Issues with CD burning (invalid CDs)

Hi all,

I have a Toshiba Satellite 1110 (which comes with a cd-r/w burner) with
which I have burnt countless CDs in the past without so much as the
shadow of a problem. Now, however, things have changed for the very
worse. First, of course, there was the whole ide-scsi issue in 2.6 and
the necessity to move to the native IDE driver. But continuous burning
problems, as well as other problems, caused me to go back to 2.4.31 for
a while, as I'm preparing to relocate in the coming month and need
things to _just work_. However, to
my sorrow, it seems CD burning does not work in 2.4.31 either. Burning
proceeds without a hitch, but about two times out of three, the CD
created is invalid, and attempting to mount it results in something like the following:
  scsi0: ERROR on channel 0, id 0, lun 0, CDB: 0x03 00 00 00 40 00
  Info fld=0x10, Current sd0b:00: sns = f0  3
  ASC=15 ASCQ= 0
  Raw sense data:0xf0 0x00 0x03 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x10 0x0a 0x00 0x00 0x00
   0x00 0x15
   0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
  I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector 64
  isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev=0b:00, iso_blknum=16, block=16
That, or it gives me a smug "No medium found" error. Any ideas or
pointers would be very appreciated, as I am wasting CDs like crazy and
my temper is slowly rising to a boil. I have gigs of data to burn in the
coming week... *sigh*

Supplementary info:
- Burner: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R2212, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
- Burner applications: Both cdrecord (2.01.01a01) and cdrdao.
- distribution: Debian unstable
- kernel: plain linux 2.4.31

Please cc replies to me, as I am not a list subscriber.

Many thanks,
S.M.