Re: why do PPP connections die with heavy disk usage?

In article <[🔎] 42DD0F2B.8080008@fgm.com>,
Daniel B. <REMOVEdanielTHIS@fgm.com> wrote:
>Does anyone know why Linux can't seem to maintain a diald-dialed serial
>PPP connection while performing lots of disk I/O, especially on a PIO-mode
>IDE disk?

Because the IDE driver turns off interrupt processing completely
when issuing commands to / reading data from the drive. With DMA,
you don't really notice, in PIO mode, you do ..

>Does the kernel not handle serial port interrupts with higher priority
>than disk interrupts to make sure that serial data doesn't overrun
>buffers?

Because the IDE driver simply turns all interrupts *off* ...

To change this, see "man hdparm", -u option.

Mike.