XFree86 to X.Org: Console colors change

After switching from XFree86 to X.Org on Sid recently, I discovered that
everytime I used Ctrl+Alt+F[n] to switch between the console and X, the
background and text color on the console change to some random color.

I'm running a custom 2.6.12.2 kernel. Frame buffer support is disabled in
both the kernel and X.Org setups. Video card is S3 ProSavage TwisterK.

Everything else works fine. Searching the list archives turned up only
unrelated issues ("can't switch VT's" or "desktop doesn't load"), and
checking the man pages for xorg.conf and Xorg turned up no info.

Any suggestions and/or pointers would be appreciated.

Adam