Re: why do PPP connections die with heavy disk usage?

John Hasler wrote:

Daniel writes:

Does anyone know why Linux can't seem to maintain a diald-dialed serial
PPP connection while performing lots of disk I/O, especially on a
PIO-mode IDE disk?

I used dialup for years (on a K6-233 with 48M of RAM) and never had any
such problems.  Of course, I used PPP's built in dial-on-demand.  Why are
you using diald?

Only because that's what I started using years ago (when it was the
way to do auto-dialing) and I haven't looked into PPP's auto-dialing yet.

Is PPP's auto-dialing the currently recommended way to do basic auto-dailing?

Daniel