Gnome uninstallable

I am tracking testing, but had gnome installed from unstable. Something went kablooie the other day, and now I have a non-working gnome installation. Trying to install gnome (some packages are still on the system but unmanaged by dpkg, while others were erased by aptitude) I get lots of errors like the following:

   sudo aptitude install gnome Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree Reading extended state information Initializing package states... Done
   E: Unable to correct dependencies, some packages cannot be installed
   E: Unable to resolve some dependencies!
   Some packages had unmet dependencies.  This may mean that you have
   or been moved out of Incoming.

gnome: Depends: gnome-desktop-environment (= 64) but it is not installable

Chasing dependencies, or installing from unstable, yields essentially the same results. How can I get things stabilized again?

--
Re-Interpreting Historic Miracles with SED #141: %s/water/wine/g