tracking changes to a configfile for a given application

I'm preparing to reinstall my server.
To document the whole process, i would want to know what the differences
are between the standard config files for an application when it was installed and the current config files. In other words i want to see the changes i made to a config file to track my settings for a given application.

As i said, this can be handy to document an app but even more so since i never install a newer config (or never try to) when upgrading a program. This way, there's a good chance that i have missed interesting new features for a program.

So when reinstalling the server, i'm going to do that from scratch, install the apps, one by one, and then make the changes i did while leaving the rest to the defaults so i end up with the lastest config files but with my changes. (That's why i don't want to simply restore the configs)

Is this possible and if so, how could i do this?

Thanks,
Benedict

--
Benedict Verheyen                   Debian User
http://www.heimdallitservices.be    Public Key 0x712CBB8D