Re: debian backup/restore

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 01:29:43AM +0200, Hans du Plooy wrote:
> However, I've just run into a problem I've never encountered (or never
> knew I encountered) before - I'm getting messages saying "socket
> such_and_such skipped.

Here is some output from my daily backup script:

Tarring various stuff ...
tar: dev/.static/dev/gpmctl: socket ignored
tar: dev/gpmctl: socket ignored
tar: dev/log: socket ignored
tar: root/.elinks/socket0: socket ignored
Tarring home ...
Tarring var various ...
tar: var/lib/zope2.7/instance/mvr/var/zopectlsock: socket ignored
tar: var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: socket ignored
tar: var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock: socket ignored

As far is I know this is no problem.  I couldn't tell you exactly what
a socket is, but I think it provides some sort of way for client
programs to connect to a server program (daemon).  It can be seen here
that it is created at the time a program is started:

$ ls -l /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.*
-rw-rw----  1 mysql mysql 6 2005-06-09 12:17 /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
srwxrwxrwx  1 mysql mysql 0 2005-06-09 12:17 /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock

You don't need this socket file in a backup.  It should disappear when
you stop the service it belongs to.  Let's check:

$ sudo /etc/init.d/mysql stop
Password:
Stopping MySQL database server: mysqld.
$ ls -l /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.*
ls: /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.*: No such file or directory

> There were two in the /dev directory - flew past too quickly tho, I
> don't know what they are - and a couple in the /var/spool/postfix eg:
>
> prw--w--w-  1 postfix postdrop 0 2005-07-18 01:27 pickup
>
> I got the error both with cp -av and tar cfv
>
> Will these sockets be recreated once I run postfix after restoring the
> system, or is there another way to safely backup and restore them?

They will be recreated.

Public GnuPG key:  http://maurits.vanrees.org/var/gpgkey.asc
"It can seem like you're doing just fine,
but the creep's creeping into your mind." - Neal Morse