Re: Illegal instruction on Gimp startup

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 21:05:01 +0200
strawks <strawks@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> (script-fu:26063): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: script-fu: wire_read(): error
> Illegal instruction (core dumped)
>
> The call trace says the Illegal instruction appens in the
> libgimpwidgets-2.0.so.0 library. The function depends on what dialogs I
> try to open.

Looking at that library (albeit in sarge) with objdump -S, I don't see
any mmx or sse type instructions used. Based on your problem, perhaps
in testing someone used the wrong compilation options. I have been
tripped up by this once or twice in the past (but on different
distributions) and mostly it was pilot error -- getting the wrong
binary (I have an Athlon, but not an Athlon XP, so some instructions
are unsupported).

This however should be a moot point in debian, since (on IA) yuo have
either i386 or 64 bit, no other choices -- at least theoretically.
There are a few exceptions where (so far) I've been able to get more
optimized binaries.

You might try rerunning the binary under gdb, and in addition to
running the backtrace, do a

$ disassemble $pc-32 $pc+32

this will get you the assembly around the point where the app raised
the illegal instruction.

> On another machine (a P4 Xeon), gimp-2.2.8 runs well with no "Illegal
> instruction", so maybe it is an optimisation problem (a P2 has only MMX,
> not SSE or SSE2).

Right, but in the output I remember seeing a +mmx and a - everything
else related to sse/sse2 etc.

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.