Re: dhcp problem

On Monday 18 July 2005 05:26, ankur.kumar@axa.com.au wrote:
 > I got my broadband setup and my provider uses DHCP and I have a
 > intelligent router (modem).
 >
 > I installed dhcpcd as dhcp client and it works fine except that it couldnt
 > get right nameservers and
 > hence resolving host name takes lot of time.
 >
 > If I put nameservers (I got it from my provider) in /etc/resolv.conf, it
 > works fine. But the problem is
 > when I login as different user, it shows different nameserver in
 > networking.
 > Do I have to configure nameserver for every user on my system?

If you are using a combined solution, using both DHCP and static
configuration, I suggest hacking your /etc/network/interfaces to echo the
static DNS-settings to /etc/resolv.conf. Something like this:

iface eth0 inet dhcp
 post-up "echo -e 'search\nnameserver ip.of.pri.dns\nnameserver ip.of.sec.dns'
> /etc/resolv.conf"

This isn't the best advise, I'm sure. But I *guess* it does the trick.
However, it should be noted that I never tested it with dhcpcd; only dhclient.

Regards, Anders Breindahl.