Re: Can you launch URL from email application

On Monday 18 July 2005 06:08 am, Kent West wrote:
> Benjamin Sher wrote:

> >>You're the first one that I know of.
>
> Ditto.
>
> >And here is the follow-up:
> >
> >When Kmail would not launch Konqueror, I switched to Epiphany (in
> > Component Choice and File Associations). Then, as part of our
> > troubleshooting, I tested Konqueror again by selecting it again as the
> > default browser in Component Choice and File Associations). It didn't
> > work. Konqueror failed again. So, I went back to Epiphany (in both
> > Component Choice and File Associations), and ever since what happens is
> > that when I click on a URL in Kmail, it tires to launch Epiphany (which
> > spins in the taskbar), but ends up launching Konqueror instead, with its
> > eternal delay.
>
> I notice that in File Associations there's an "Application Preference
> Order". Apparently what's happening is that when you click an URL in
> Kmail, Epiphany tries to launch, and fails for some reason, and then KDE
> falls back on the next application in the preference order.
>
> To test this theory, you could put Firefox or some other browser as the
> next preferred app after Epiphany, rather than Konqueror.
>
> If my theory holds out, you just have to figure out why Epiphany is
> dying when it tries to start up from a clicked link in Kmail. Does it
> die when trying to start it manually?
>
> --
> Kent

Dear Kent:

I experimented with the settings and here is what happens:

I set Firefox as the default browser in Component Chooser and in File
Associations (naturally "moving up" Firefox from the list of browser). Kmail
launched the URL INSTANTLY.

When I set both for Epiphany, Epiphany spinned in the taskbar and wouldn't
launch. A few days ago, when it was set to Epiphany, Epiphany launched the
URL instantly. Why it doesn't now I don't know.

I don't recall now but it may be that Firefox didn't launch the URL, either. I
am not sure.

But I am sure that Epiphany did launch it correctly for several days (launch
EVERY URL correctly and instantly), but now spins in the taskbar like
Konqueror.

Those are the facts. I won't hazard a hypothesis. I have no idea how this
works.

Benjamin