Re: FTP authentification issue

On 7/15/05, Benjamin Sher <delphi123@zebra.net> wrote:
> On Friday 15 July 2005 08:58 am, Wim De Smet wrote:
>
> > On 7/15/05, Benjamin Sher <delphi123@zebra.net> wrote:
> > > Dear friends:
> > >
> > > I have run into an unusual and inexplicable FTP authentification issue.
> > > It's the first time I've ever had this problem in Linux, and I've been
> > > using the same Dell 8200 Dimension computer for five years (on both
> > > WinXP and different flavors of Linux).
> > >
> > > I've discussed this with my IP and my web host. They have advised me
> > > that it's working fine at their end and they have made sure to clear any
> > > firewall obstacles.
> > >
> > > My FTP works fine in Windows, but not in Debian. Or rather, let me say
> > > that it was working fine the first two days of install, but for the past
> > > three days has not.
> > >
> > > The situation is rather confusing. First, here is the output of ftp in
> > > the console. Clearly, it's working fine, showing the remote file system
> > > and uploading and downloading successfully:

> > Sounds like a problem between clients trying active/passive ftp. Could
> > you verify whether the gui clients are trying to connect via active or
> > via passive ftp?
> >
> > mvg,
> > Wim
>
> Dear Wim:
>
> Thank you for writing.
>
> How would I verify this. Please give me the precise command in the console and
> I'll be glad to do this.

Try running ftp with the -v and -d switch in the console and list the
output somewhere. You can also supply the -p switch to force it to try
passive ftp. For the gui clients, it should be listed somewhere in the
server options or the likes. For instance for gftp click
FTP->Options->FTP tab, then there's a checkbox at the bottom which
says passive/active transfers. You can also check "ignore PASV
address" there. If you have to check that with passive before it
works, it's a configuration problem on the server's side.

greets,
Wim