type= parameter missing from linux-2.6.12 tuner module

There appears to be significant differences between the
"tuner" module in linux 2.6.12 and the same module
under linux 2.6.11. In particular the "type" paramater is
missing from linux 2.6.12.3, as shown by a comparison
of the truncated modinfo output appended at the end of
this email.

I absolutely *need* the type= paramater, since my tuner
card is "misrecognized" as PAL (our broadcast system is
NTSC).

The "tuner" module of linux 2.6.12 appears to load fine
*without* any parameters (using insmod /path/to/tuner.ko).
But it fails with "modprobe tuner", which reads the options
I set in "/etc/modprobe.d/01_local_directives":

options bttv card=34 radio=1
options tuner type=8 debug=1

Have I encountered a bug, or are there newer options to
pass to the "tuner" module to force it to recognize my card
as NTSC?

# "tuner" module information for linux 2.6.12.3
vermagic:       2.6.12.3-k7r1-custom preempt K7 gcc-4.0
depends:        i2c-core
parm:           radio_antenna:int
parm:           tv_antenna:int
parm:           optimize_vco:int
parm:           pal:string
parm:           radio_range:array of int
parm:           tv_range:array of int
parm:           tuner_debug:int
parm:           addr:int
parm:           force:List of adapter,address pairs to
boldly assume to be present (array of short)
parm:           ignore_range:List of
adapter,start-addr,end-addr triples not to scan (array of
short)
parm:           ignore:List of adapter,address pairs not to
scan (array of short)
parm:           probe_range:List of
adapter,start-addr,end-addr triples to scan additionally
(array of short)
parm:           probe:List of adapter,address pairs to scan
additionally (array of short)

# "tuner" module information for linux 2.6.11.12
vermagic:       2.6.11.12-k7r6-custom preempt K7 gcc-3.3
depends:        i2c-core
parm:           pal:string
parm:           radio_range:array of int
parm:           tv_range:array of int
parm:           optimize_vco:int
parm:           radio_antenna:int
parm:           tv_antenna:int
parm:           debug:int
parm:           addr:int
parm:           type:int
parm:           force:List of adapter,address pairs to
boldly assume to be present (array of short)
parm:           ignore_range:List of
adapter,start-addr,end-addr triples not to scan (array of
short)
parm:           ignore:List of adapter,address pairs not to
scan (array of short)
parm:           probe_range:List of
adapter,start-addr,end-addr triples to scan additionally
(array of short)
parm:           probe:List of adapter,address pairs to scan
additionally (array of short)

# tail of dmesg. Produced by a combination of insmod
# /path/to/tuner.ko and modprobe tuner (which reads
# /etc/modprobe.d/)

tuner 0-0061: type set to 5 (Philips PAL_BG (FI1216 and
compatibles))
tuner 0-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (bt878 #0 [sw])
tuner 0-0061: type set to 5 (Philips PAL_BG (FI1216 and
compatibles))
tuner: Unknown parameter `type'