Re: Running KDE

I would recommend never deleting files from /etc/init.d, but instead deleting the symlinks that are pointing TO those files, which you can find in for example,

ls -l /etc/rc5.d

(if runlevel 5 is your default runlevel).
you can find your default run level by doing this:

grep default /etc/inittab

You will see symlinks there which specify which things get started up and what order. delete the symlinks if you don't want them to start up when your computer does.

Also, there is ksysv which is a GUI that lets you see and control these things graphically.

On 7/14/05, Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:
Ms Linuz on 14/07/05 06:15, wrote:
>>>I will ask now: Wenn I download and install the x and kde.
>>>
>>>What should I run so that i will have the graphical interface and i will come to
>>>KDE enviroment?
>>>

> as root do:
> apt-get install kdm kde
> /etc/init.d/kdm start

This will also cause the GUI to start every time you boot. If you want
to boot into a command line, you need to delete /etc/init.d/kdm (the
boot-time startup script) and then run 'startx' when you want to go into
the GUI.