Re: Debian or Ubuntu Dilemma

On Saturday 16 July 2005 10:31 am, Alan Ezust wrote:
> I thought Ubuntu was a flavor of debian, so when you install ubuntu, you
> get debian at no extra charge :-)
>
> On 7/16/05, Bernie Betlach <bernie@betlach.com> wrote:
> >  I'm new to Linux but have a little programming experience. Which should
> > I install Ubuntu or Debian???
> >  Thanks.... I appreciate your opinions and advice.
> >  Bernie

Yes and no.  Ubuntu is a flavor of Debian and uses the Sarge installer, but
they use their own packages.  In Debian, if you use the Stable (currently
Sarge) branch, you get packages that have been tested about as thouroughly as
any in computerdom.  Ubuntu does not follow branches, so you can't count on
their packages to be as stable as Debian's.  It has also been said if you use
Ubuntu, some Ubuntu specific packages don't play well with standard Debian
Packages.

Hal