Re: Cursor acting strangely

On 7/15/05, Leonid Grinberg <lgrinberg@gmail.com> wrote:

>A small problem I have with my mouse is that every once in a while the
>cursor suddenly flies across the screen. This usually happens when I
>am moving the mouse around and suddenly the cursor gets out of control
>and flies (usually the opposite way) across the screen. In a few
>seconds it begins obeying me again.
>
>I bought a brand new Logitech optical mouse....my
>mouse's scroll wheel suddenly lost its functionality to, well, scroll.
>After a day or so, I figured out that I need to change the port from
>PS/2 to ImPS/2. Ever since then the above mentioned problem (about the
>cursor) has begun.

If you're using gpm, that might complicate things (although I prefer to
use it, and can actually make troubleshooting easier as you can take X
out of the picture somewhat). So, first question: are you using gpm?

Secondly, you might try using the "Intellimouse" protocol rather than
"ImPS/2".

You might also want to post the relevant sections of gpm.conf and
XF86Config-4.

--
Kent