stable vs. sargein apt-get: are they interchangeable?

Dear friends:

Just a brief follow-up note on our discussion of "stable" vs "sarge".

I replaced ALL of the "stable" in etc/apt/sources.list with "sarge". Then I
did #apt-get update. This updated the entire database. I then tested it by
downloading and installing two applications. No problems. No errors. No
broken files. Database unchanged: same 15,207 applications (1,200 on my
system, 0 broken, 0 to install or upgrade, 0 to remove). And, let me repeat,
NO errors of any sort, even on subsequent visits to Synaptic. Amazing!

Reporting from the frontlines :--)

Benjamin