Re: configuring a touchscreen monitor (samsung 173vt)

Hi!

Got the same problem at work with a Samung 173VT connected to a Linux thinclient. I missed the mutouch driver in that Linux distribution, but I only had to copy it from another Linux machine and put it in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input. Then I got it working.The following XF86Config entries solved the problem:

Section "Module"
     Load "mutouch"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "touchscreen"
   Driver      "mutouch"
   Option     "Device"  "/dev/ttyS0"
   Option     "Type"    "finger"
   Option     "MinX"    "15200"
   Option     "MaxX"    "1000"
   Option     "MinY"    "1270"
   Option     "MaxY"    "15370"
   Option     "SendCoreEvents"
   Option     "SwapXY"  "true"
   Option     "SendDragEvents"  "true"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
  InputDevice "touchscreen"   "SendCoreEvents"
 EndSection

This is what happened: SwapXY takes care of flipping the  X-Y axes back. The Y-axis was correct after that, but the X-axis moved opposite to my finger. I found out that setting MinX to the higher number and MaxX to the lower number inverted the X-axis to normal response.

The next problem was to calibrate the touchscreen. I don't know where the numbers 16383 and 0 comes from (ref the How To,s found on the net), but I would think they are screen resolution specific. In the case of the Samsung 173VT, it uses a resolution of 1280*1024 and the numbers I came up with is completely different as you can see. This is the method I used to calibrate the screen with MinX, MaxX, MinY and MaxY:

1. Touch the upper left corner
2. See where the cursor goes.
3. To tune the cursor:    LEFT - decrease MinX,    RIGHT - increase MinX,    UP - decrease MaxY,    DOWN - increase MaxY
4. Touch the lower right corner
5. See where the cursor goes
6. To tune the cursor:    LEFT - decrease MaxX,    RIGHT - increase MaxX,    UP - decrease MinY,    DOWN - increase MinY

Notice, changing the numbers by 100 moves the cursor about 1 cm.

Maybe you can calibrate using software calibration toosl found on the web, I haven't tried that.

Good luck
Hakan