Re: Printing in CUPS -- almost there!

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 06:28 -0500, Benjamin Sher wrote:
> michael wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 05:32 -0500, Benjamin Sher wrote:
> >
> > > Dear friends:
> > >
> > > I've spent the past hour searching in Google for articles that will
> > > explain to me how to install my printer in Debian 3.1. I'm literally 99%
> > > of the way there.
> > >
> > > First, I found out that Debian 3.1 does not include the CUPS server by
> > > default. So, I downloaded that via Synaptic. Then I downloaded hp-ppd
> > > (for my Okipage 14e, which uses HP Laserjet 4 emulation). Then, I found
> > > out that I need the gimp-print foomatic files, so I downloaded them as
> > > well as other gimp files dependent on them. I then went logged out and
> > > logged back in as root and configured the printer in Kprinter (KDE
> > > Control Center, Peripherals). Configuration was a total success, and at
> > > the end of it all I saw my Okipage printer listed at the top of the
> > > printers. So what's wrong? Well, when I tried to print a test page, it
> > > said: "print test successflly sent to the printer", but so far no actual
> > > printing. My guess is that I am just one step away from actually
> > > printing, but I am at a loss as to what is holding things up.
> > >
> > > Would appreciate your help in resolving this issue.
> > >

> > look in /var/log/cups files
> >

> Dear Michael and friends:
>
> Thanks so much for the tip. Here is the output of error_log.

I couldn't see anything there that helped me. Can you confirm that your
printer did flash some lights to show it was receiving data and that you
did send the correct page size and didn't press any 'cancel' button on
the printer?

You should also check www.linuxprinting.org, particularly the
fora/discussions for your specific printer.