Re: an X problem

On Tuesday 12 July 2005 18:45, Ivan Glushkov wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> Since I went from standart radeon driver to fglrx,
> when I issue:
>
> /etc/init.d/gdm restart
>
> Everything dissapiares, including the terminals
> (Ctrl+Alt+F1..). I swithed to kdm. The result was the
> same. I made dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86, but
> nothing changed. The strange thing is that there is
> nothing interesting in /var/log/XFree86.0.log or in
> /var/log/messages.0
>
>     Any ideas are very welcome.
>
>     Cheers,
>     Ivan
>
> P.S.: In the moment the only way to stop/restart my
> laptop is by pushing the button..

I had a similar problem not so long ago, when I upgraded
from woody to sarge. The cause was an innocent-looking
option in the XF86Config-4 configuration file in /etc
in the section that related to my graphics card. In the
previous version of X under woody, this option hadn't
done anything, but when I upgraded X was broken in
exactly the way you describe and turning the option off
fixed my problem. No error messages, nothing obviously
wrong, nothing going wrong at the kernel level either
-- just blank screen (actually my monitor went into
power saving mode because the card stopped talking to
it altogether!!!)

The options available are dependent on the graphics card
you have so I won't confuse you with the specific
option that caused this for me. Instead, can you post
your /etc/XF86Config-4 file to this list and we can see
if there's anything dodgy about it.

Cheers

Mark