Re: chroot: permission denied

Bill Marcum skrev:

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 03:32:32PM +0200, David Sveningsson wrote:
Hello

I'm using Debian Sarge but it won't start up any longer. During the startup it says:

exec: 426: chroot: Permission denied
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init

If I boot with a Slackware disk I can mount the drive but cannot read any files. Cannot 'chroot' from there either, it gives the same message (exept the kernel panic)

Any thought on this? Any help would be appriciated.

Does chroot have execute permission?
ls -l /usr/bin/chroot

"ls -l" won't list chroot, but "find / | grep chroot" finds it in /sbin/ But "ls -l" won't show it there either. I am root so there shouldn't be any problem with that. Has the ownership been modified so I can't access it anymore? The same applies to files like /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab but not files in my home directory.

//eXt