Sarge/php: should register_globals be set to "on"

I've just upgraded from woody to sarge.  I note that php.ini is full
of warnings about using register_globals being set to "on", but the it
is set to "on" by default.

None of my scripts require this setting.  Do any of the php packages
that come with woody require this setting?  I mainly use squirrelmail.
 I manage to use it on another system with gentoo with
register_globals set to "off".  Can I do the same in sarge and what is
the recommended setting?