Re: startup programs

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 00:16:25 -0600, wrote:

> hey, can anyone tell me what i would have to do to remove programs from the
> system bootup? there are 2 servers that i want to remove from the system
> bootup but keep on my computer and have full control over their startup and
> shutdown, i would like to add them to the menu with 2 links for each, one to
> start it and one to stop it. can anyone help?
> hey, can anyone tell me what i would have to do to remove programs from
> the system bootup? there are 2 servers that i want to remove from the
> system bootup but keep on my computer and have full control over their
> startup and shutdown, i would like to add them to the menu with 2 links
> for each, one to start it and one to stop it. can anyone help?<br>

update-rc.d -f <exact name of server script in /etc/init.d> remove
example:  update-rc.d -f smb remove

this removes the runlevel scripts ie:  /etc/rc5.d/S20smb etc...
you can use the -n to 'not' actually do anything, just show you what it
will do if you don't use it...  (does that make sense?? :-))

mike..