Re: Downloading Debian CD: "stable" or "testing"?

Benjamin Sher wrote:

"Sarge" is now the STABLE release and "etch" is now the TESTING release.
That is correct.

I would like to download the testing release so I would get the latest possible versions of Debian packages. I imagine that if I installed the stable release, that I would have to wait till the current "sarge" stable release made them available. On the other other hand, if I installed the current "etch" testing release, I would get new releases as they become available. For example, what happens when the new OpenOffice 2.0 is out of Beta and released officialy? How long would you have to wait to see it in the stable distribution and how long in the testing distribution?
I think there is a misunderstanding here. Openoffice 2.0 as such will not make it into sarge no matter how much time you wait. What would eventually happen is, openoffice 2.0 will get packaged to unstable. After some time, it will come to testing (Etch). Once Etch is released as stable, then you will have openoffice 2.0 in stable. No one knows when Etch is going to be made stable.

So, my question remains: which distribution iso image should I do download? Is an iso for the testing even available yet.
If you have internet connection available, you can download 100 MB net install image. After installing using this net install image cd, you can download the rest of the stuff from internet as and when needed.

If you want to install sarge, then it's net install image can be downloaded from

http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

If you want to install Etch, then it's net install image can be downloaded from

or from

http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/daily/

Regarding whether to install Sarge or Etch, I would suggest you to read

http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/debian_choosing_distribution.html

Very confused, as you can see.

I want to make sure I know what I am doing before I download the iso image.
You can always update from sarge to Etch. But you cannot go from Etch to Sarge.

raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
Graduate Student, MAE