Re: upgrade to Sarge stopped nic

Rick Weinbender wrote:
> >I did an apt-get update, then apt-get dist-upgrade.
> >The update finished and I was getting internet
> >connectivity until I rebooted the machine.
> >Now the link light on the hub won't even light up.
> >Or rather, it lights up initially, then at some
> >point
> >during bootup it goes off.

Did you upgrade your kernel?

> uname -a
> *
> Linux mail 2.2.20-idepci #1 Sat Apr 20 12:45:19 EST
> 2002 i586 GNU/Linux

I guess not.  The 2.2 kernel is quite old now.  It is possible there
is some interaction between the old 2.2 potato kernel and the new
sarge userland.  Until I saw this I was going to suggest booting back
to the old kernel to see if that fixed the problem.

A common problem is that people use a monolithic kernel with the
network driver compiled in and then install a newer modular kernel
with the driver as a module.  If the module is not loaded then the
network will not work.

> Here's the results of those commands.
> 00:12.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor
> Co., Ltd. RTL-8139 (rev 10)

You would use the 8139too driver.  I don't remember much about the old
linux 2.2 kernels but try this:

  modprobe 8139too
  /etc/init.d/networking restart

It is possible that the driver is a module and used to be getting
loaded in /etc/modules but that is now no longer happening for some
reason.

Your /etc/network/interfaces file looked fine to me.  If that
configuration worked before then it should still be working now as
long as nothing else changed.

> The upgrade did complete and the machine boots.
> I had never changed my /etc/apt/sources.lst
> *
> I will change my sources.list and try the dist-upgrade
> again.

If your networking is not working then dist-upgrade over the network
won't work either.

You say you never changed your sources.list file.  Then how did you
upgrade to sarge?  You would have needed to change the woody entry to
a sarge entry in order to do so.  So that statement confuses me.

Just a brainstorm, were you running a firewall?  It is possible that
the firewall software was upgraded but no longer works with the linux
2.2 kernel.  Probably not the problem here though.

Bob