webcam weirdness

I have just installed sarge on a new athlon-xp system and my usb webcam
doesn't work properly. Using camorama the picture displayed in b&w and
triplicated horizontally (if I save the image the resulting jpg has it
6-times across). Gnomemeeting can't find the webcam at all. I can plug
the webcam into my PII system (running an upgraded sarge) and camorama
and gnomemeeting both display the correct color image.

Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

--
"Aided by a little sophistry on the words 'general welfare', [they
claim] a right to do not only the acts to effect that which are