netdev watchdog messages

Lately I am getting kernel messages like this:

NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
eth0: Transmit timed out, status 00000000, resetting...

They appear in /var/log/messages and also at the console where I am
working, even being inserted into text I am editing.

My kernel is 2.6.11, my distribution is Sid and is current, and I am
running apache and a variety of other apps that normally have not been a
problem. Not sure when these messages began appearing, and cannot figure
out where to look for the problem. My internet connection is broadband
cable.

Any pointers or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Chuck

But you can still get downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh