Re: Past versions of the kernel in GRUB

Leonid Grinberg:

> The bottom line is, is it normal to have two parallel kernels
> installed (is that even what is happening?)

Yes, you have 2.6.8 and 2.4.27 installed. And that's no problem
whatsoever. Debian is even specially prepared to handle that. There is a
script called 'update-grub' that searches for all installed kernel
packages and creates an entry in grub's menu for it. It is automatically
called when you install or remove a kernel package with
dpkg/apt/whatever.

Many people actually have several kernels installed. I always compile my
own kernel and create a Debian package out of it. Because I know that I
might screw the kernel configuration up, I always have a standard kernel
from Debian installed which I never use except for recovery purposes.

When kernel 2.6 was still new, I also had a 2.4 kernel installed just in
case I discovered 2.6 would break my system. Fortunately, it didn't. :-)

J.
--
My drug of choice is self-pity.
[Agree]   [Disagree]